By Michelle A. Brown
Sometimes it feels like we spend too much effort to relax- instead of just relaxing! It almost becomes another chore….that’s NOT relaxing. There are some easy and fun things you can do to make relaxing a little less stressful and a little more relaxing.
To relax will mean something different to everyone. If you take a moment to do some deep breathing and roll your shoulders, you’re off to a good start. It can also mean to unwind; be calm; lay down or rest.
Here are some additional fun and easy ways to reduce stress in your life some of which you and your loved ones may already be doing, but didn’t think about as “relaxation”:
- put your feet up, even for just a few minutes
- go to the spa; get a pedicure or a massage
- take a nap
- listen to music
- read a book
- listen to a sound machine. For example, ocean sounds are calming to me.
- Take an art class or create your own art
- paint, draw, use clay, or write poetry
- wrap yourself in a soft blanket
- pet a dog or cat
- use candles/diffusers or flameless fragrances (either sprays or warmers/oils).
- They can bring you to the mountains or beach or help you feel calm.
- Talk to a friend
- Watch a funny show
Take a REAL coffee break. Europeans have it right. When they take a coffee break, they sit quietly at a café and watch the world go by. Take just a few minutes to sit and observe. Try not to use your cell phone when you do this. You’ll find you’ll be in a new space when you’re done.
While life, and sometimes just trying to relax, can be stressful, hopefully you can balance the tension of every day life by incorporating some of these techniques into your daily routine. Happy relaxing!